I love dreaming about calendar seasons at my church.
Thinking about students and families and how we’re going to connect them, care for them, inform them and get them in to the action of ministry like Jesus, I love it.
When we plan what we put in a calendar (each calendar covers 4 months) we always start with a basic outline and fill from there.
Here is the basic outline that we FOR SURE INCLUDE in our ministry at least once every 4 months.
- Parent Learning Lab– A time for parents to come together and learn about a topic that is relevant to them. Social Media, Teenage Brian, Sticky Faith, Sports and the Church, Sex and Dating. We bring in experts who are not Pastors or parents in our church and create a environment of learning, discussion and celebrating parents.
- Worship gathering- We put this together with either just Jr. High, with Jr. High at all of our campuses or with High School. But we great an gathering night at the church for us to worship, do a prayer walk or other experience, bible teaching. We dont advertise it at all as a “fun” night, but simply as a night to worship Jesus together.
- Evangelism opportunity- We tell students every week to bring their friends to the weekend services, some do, some dont. Every calendar we do at least one big blow up, huge promotion and sit back and watch big things happening. Every student that comes get the welcome of acceptance and are more willing to come to Sugarfest or IT overnight than a weekend service.
- Baptisms- Every calendar we want to give students the chance to take a deeper step in their faith. We do baptisms after camps, but we also have scheduled times that we do them as a church. We want families to know about them, pray about it with their students and be a big part of the process with us in Jr. High.
- Rock the Patios- Every calendar we will go above and beyond on our outdoor patio. Pick a theme, decorate, have some fun stuff for students to do while they are there. Its a great additional draw for students to bring their friends. Much like hot weeks were we really focus on friends and invites.
- Serve (outreach) experience- We do serves every month, get them our of the norm and in to action. We have a relationship with a ministry serving chili to the homeless. We also make new opportunities available to students and families as well though our outreach department. Always somewhere new to serve.
- Calendar ending wrap up party- Every calendar we end with a BIG wrap up celebration for families and students. Share a meal, share stories of that last 4 months, encourage each other, allow parents to connect, allow families to have some fun together. Let student see their parents talk about what they see God doing in them is a big deal….. AND…… This is the event where we hand out the NEW CALENDAR, so momentum is never stopping.
SO, what do you MAKE SURE NO MATTER WHAT you include in your calendar…
Leave it in the comments, would love to hear it.
Latest posts by Justin Herman (see all)
- I love reviews. Do you? - July 20, 2017
- Parents, Teaching Your Teen Responsibility, Part 2 - April 12, 2017
- Parents, Teaching Your Teen Responsibility - April 7, 2017